- 2-8ounce vidalia or other sweet onions
- 1/2 cup of beet juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of red Burgundy wine
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- Fleur de salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a mandolin, cut onions into 1/16 inch.
- Combine the sliced onions and all remaining ingredients in a heavy medium sauce pan.
- Cook uncovered over low heat until liquid is absorbed and onions are very tender, stirring occasionally. This takes about an hour.
- Season them with the fleur de salt and pepper.
The jam can be prepared ahead of time. Great with pork and chicken.
About Chef Z: Chef Zab Vanderhyden is the master of light and approachable fare at Harden and Huyse Chocolates and Café.
His menu changes daily around seasonality and local availability.
Stay tuned for more upcoming recipes.